Nerves run throughout your body to help control your movements, control digestion, and heart rate, help you feel various sensations, and more. One of these nerves is the sciatic nerve, which is in the lower back. It splits to run down both of your legs to your feet. When this nerve becomes pinched or compressed, it is known as sciatica. Learn more about sciatica and how to find relief with the following guide from our team at Pain Relief Centers of Homestead and Coral Springs.
What Are the Symptoms of Sciatica?
Sciatica symptoms typically include:
- Back pain
- Pain in the buttocks
- Leg pain
- Tingling, weakness, or numbness in the back, legs, or feet
These symptoms can vary between sciatica sufferers. For example, the back pain might be more of a throb or burning sensation, while the leg pain might be more of a shooting or stabbing pain.
Common Causes of Sciatica
Various issues can lead to the sciatic nerve being compressed, with one of the most common being a herniated or slipped disc. This is often due to spinal misalignment that forces a disc out of its place. The inner filling then spills out onto the nerve, leading to pain, tingling, and other symptoms.
Other causes include:
- Trigger points or tight muscles around the sciatic nerve
- Wearing high heels, especially if you wear them often, as they can impact the curve of the spine
- Degenerative disc disease
- Pregnancy or being overweight, as these put excess pressure on the spine
- Sitting for prolonged periods, especially when sitting with poor posture
- Injuries, including falls, sports injuries, and car accident injuries
Chiropractic Treatment for Sciatica
Chiropractic care aims to both provide immediate relief from symptoms and address the root cause of the pain. In the case of sciatica, this means relieving the compression of the sciatic nerve. While how this is done depends on the cause of that compression, the most common treatment techniques include the following:
- Spinal adjustments to restore the spine’s proper alignment
- Spinal decompression, which stretches the spine, pulls herniated discs back into place and releases tension from the nerves, muscles, and discs
- Chiropractic massage to relieve tension, reduce inflammation, and promote healing
No matter the root cause, our team is dedicated to creating a personalized treatment plan to provide healing and relief.
Find Sciatica Relief with Our Chiropractor in Homestead and Coral Springs, FL
If you’re suffering from sciatica, our team at Pain Relief Centers of Homestead and Coral Springs is here to help. Call our Coral Springs office today at (305) 373-5411 or our Homestead office at (305) 248-2250. You can also reach us through our website by using our online contact form.